54th Infantry, Iowa National Guard, c. 1905.
The cap is the 1902 model, but the coat is still the old style from the 1890s. The U.S. Government promised Iowa enough of the new model coats to outfit the summer encampment of 1906. The 54th Regiment was headquartered in Iowa City. Company G was continuously at Ottumwa during this time, although this photo is marked as from the Browning studio in Fairfield, which town was the longtime home of Company M.
Page by Mark Conrad, 2019.