Private, 18th Company, Recruiting Service, c. 1910.
The cap insignia (RS over 18) indicates the 18th Company, Recruiting Service. The General Recruiting Service was directly under the Adjutant General’s Office. It manned General Recruiting Stations in major cities across the nation, and Recruiting Depots and Recruit Depot Posts. These depots provided about six weeks of training before new soldiers were sent to their permanent units. Each depot was organized as an infantry battalion with a non-commissioned officer staff and band as part of the battalion headquarters company. Each battalion’s recruit companies contained about 25 sergeants and corporals and 18 to 54 privates (recruits). Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, had recruits in the 15th, 16th, 18th, 23rd, and 27th Recruit Companies.
Page by Mark Conrad, 2012.